A family recipe for borscht from Naked Cookbook, my #NaNoWriMo #WriMoRebel project this year.
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 3 medium beets, peeled and grated
- 3 carrots, cut very small
- 3 potatoes, cut small
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, cored and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for topping
- Put a bottle of vodka in the freezer.
- In a saucepan, heat beef broth to a simmer. In a kettle, bring about a quart of water to a boil.
- In a soup pot, crumble the sausage over medium-high heat. If it is lean, add a little cooking oil. Cook and stir until no longer pink. Lower heat. Add a little pepper, the onion and garlic, cook until the onion looks wilted.
- To the soup pot, Add the beets, carrots, potatoes and beef broth. Add boiling water to cover the vegetables. Cook until the carrots and potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes or so.
- Add the cabbage, and cook only a tiny bit, less than 5 minutes.
- Ladle into serving bowls, and garnish with sour cream. Serve with a shot of ice-cold vodka straight and dark bread.